Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Martini Mix-off ~ Day 3

Saturday marked our 3rd martini adventure! We got off to a late start as we all had busy days and I had just gotten in from the east coast. But nevertheless we persevered and tackled our duties with great thirst.

We met up at Piper Pub and found stools at the bar. Erik was our bartender at this stop and rattled off our choices but not with the same enthusiasm as our other stops but he was cute so I let that slide a bit.

Eric and I went with the classic like always; Christi ordered up the Summer Breeze.

This classic was made with a new gin- Quintessential and King Eider Vermouth, shaken, and garnished with Blue Cheese stuffed olives. This gin had similar qualities to the Plymouth gin and was easy to drink, not overly powered by pine. This one ranks number 3 on my list so far but number 2 on Eric’s list (close to number 1).

The Summer Breeze was made of cucumber and honeydew infused Level Vodka, served with a cucumber slice garnish. This was crisp, light, refreshing, and very easy to drink. It had only a slight taste of fruit and not much else. I thought it was good but we all agreed that it was rather boring. Perhaps adding some herb, like lemon thyme or lemongrass, would make it a little better?

As we were picking apart the martinis, Erik the bartender tried to redeem his earlier inactions by offering me more blue cheese stuffed olives. I think it worked.

Mai Thai was our next stop. Sasha was our bartender but we quickly started calling her Shasha (not sure if she liked that much, but we were having fun).

The classic, 10 Below, was a mixture of Tanqueray 10 and Noilly Prat Vermouth, shaken and poured over dry ice to sit for a moment, garnished with jalapeño stuffed olives. This one reminded me that I still don’t like gin. It had a very piney taste that overpowered the drink for me. The olives were quite tasty.

The Crimson Café was Christi’s choice. This concoction was made with Starbucks Liquor, cognac, and Razzmataz. It had a scent of raspberries and a coffee flavor. It was fair.

At this point we were ready to move on to Koi but they had closed so we headed to Red Feather. Here we just ordered up miscellaneous drinks and joked with Bartender Kevin. It also appears that we gathered more quotes than notes on this fine evening. Some are good!

Kristi~ it needs to be organic!
Larry~ Can I lip it?
Casey~Ew, that comes out frothy
Eric~ you need a 1-900 #
Eric~ oh, I would call !
Eric for your entertainment
Eric~ I was outstanding in the field
Christi~ there was a Kevin, right?
Christi (with eyebrows raised)~ Do you want me to take the bottom or top?
Eric~ Swiss guys are HOT
Kristi~ I got poked
Eric~ I like that a lot
Kristi~ You just sprayed me
Christi~ Licked it and winked at me
Kevin~ What I have decided about you, is you are difficult to please.
Kevin~ He works it
Christi~ Is he always like this?
Kristi~ Hes been around
Eric~ *He* was definitely not my type.but he wasn't
Christi~ Ill just sleep
Eric~ She seemed to breath; that is my type
Eric~ He sounds too huge for me

No comments: