Monday, January 12, 2009

The Modern Hotel and Bar

http://www.themodernhotel.com/
1314 W Grove Street

Time: 5-7 pm
Special: $3.50 wells, $5 wines, and $3 beers
Rating: 4 Martinis
Smoking: No
Other mentions: No food is served

Located in the revamped Linen District, The Modern Hotel is a renovated Travel Lodge with amazing updates. It has gone from dive hotel to swanky destination. This was my first trip to The Modern Bar, a small bar located off the hotel lobby. I’ve ridden my bicycle past the hotel on several occasions when live music was playing in the courtyard and it has been on my short list of places to try, and finally I made it!

When I first walked up to the hotel it wasn’t initially clear where the entrance was to the bar, and still isn’t, so I just walked into the lobby and asked directions. Turns out, it is just down the hall from the front desk.

It was a Monday so it was no surprise to find only two people in the intimate bar. They each had laptops and phone calls going, so I will assume they were still working. If I had to work after 5, The Modern Bar is not a bad place to do it.

The décor is simple and modern, yet soothing. There are five sets of white antlers on one wall that seemed odd but art is often odd so I didn’t think much of it. The inset, overhead lighting was strategically placed over each table to provide enough light to work, see the cocktail menu, or write notes about ones visit.

I was quickly greeted by the bartender/server and told the happy hour specials: $3.50 wells, $5 wines, and $3 beers (I did not see any draught beer however). I ordered up my usual vodka and soda with lime. I did explore the minimal cocktail menu and was surprised by what a punch it really provides for so few items. It is clear that the proprietors put a great deal of thought into it with a less-is-more style. I will return!

No comments: